Millions of women suffer in silence with pelvic floor dysfunction because they are uncomfortable or embarrassed to talk about it with their doctor.
There are many causes of pelvic floor dysfunction; pregnancy, childbirth, constipation, surgery, trauma, and aging just to name a few.
Worker's Compensation Rehab
For Appointments - 603.743.8790
All of these conditions may negatively impact the quality of life of a woman, but it's important to know that it's not normal and there are many ways in which physical therapy can help to eliminate or diminish the symptoms.
There is no need to suffer in silence any longer.
We can help!
During the evaluation, the therapist will gather necessary medical information based on your symptoms and medical history. A full musculoskeletal evaluation will be performed assessing hip, low back and pelvis. An internal examination of the pelvic floor is needed / recommended with certain conditions, but is not performed on the initial visit.
The therapist will discuss the need for an internal assessment and what to expect for the next visit if the patient is in agreement.
Treatment options recommended by your therapist may include:
- Patient education on fluid intake and dietary habits,
- Behavioral modification to eliminate poor bowel / bladder habits,
- Myofascial Release (MFR) to reduce pain and improve movement,
- Biofeedback (provides feedback for proper performance of exercises, relaxation),
- ESTM (performed internally to activate internal muscles),
- Proper breathing to maximize pelvic floor involvement,
- Instruction in use of dilators,
- Placement in pregnancy belt if appropriate to reduce pain,
- Instruction in home exercise program to maximize long-term benefit.
Treatments may be 1 - 3 times per week with 1 hour of on-on-one care.
Call for an appointment and let us help!